What are teachers worried about in students?
• 84% believe that digital technologies are a growing distraction in the learning environment. More than nine of ten educators think that the number of children with psychological, social and behavioural challenges has increased in last 3 – 5 years.
• Empathy has also declined (78% note a decrease), as well as student physical activity (60% have noted declining levels).
• Two of three teachers say the number of children arriving at school tired has increased and the same number of teachers have observed decreases in students’ completion of homework on time.
• Almost all teachers noted increases in the prevalence of online harassment and bullying (81%). Over one-third of teachers have dealt with more than ten incidents of cyberbullying and online harassment in the last 3-5 years.
• Three of five educators (59%) observed a decline in students’ overall readiness to learn in the last 3-5 years. The vast majority (78%) believe that students’ ability to focus on educational tasks has decreased.